Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Interesting Foreshadowing Post, December 2005

Here's a post where I'm just pondering life and trying to figure out what in the hell to do with mine. Interesting foreshadowing from early December of 2005.

Well, it has been a slow, thoughtful, depressing week. I have my tree up and it is fabulous. And I count the days until we make the fateful trek to West Virginia for an Appalachian Christmas/Hanukkah. I have been doing some serious thinking about life and my career this week. As I struggle to sit at my stenographer for even 30 minutes of typing, I wonder if I'll ever finish the lessons. Deep down, I know that I will. But then what? Months and months of tedious practicing until I can type 225 words/minute flawlessly. I am determined to do it. But its temporary, I don't think I will want to do that forever. I have, however, been thinking of going back to school. I know I said I would never, ever go, but I think I am ready. I have been considering getting my teaching certificate. Your next question should be "why?"

Here's my answer: As I sit at work and read the dreadful news of our country and our world on CNN and MSNBC, I have been trying to figure out what I can do with my life where I'll make a difference and really help people. I have considered going to law school and becoming a politician. But I don't think I would survive in the world as a lawyer/politician. I would probably lose my mind if I was surrounded by corruption all day long. I also thought about being a nurse. I admire my friend Lara, an oncology nurse, and my mother Kathy, a cardiac nurse. It takes a great deal of inner strength to deal with the ups and downs of being in the medical field, let alone getting through nursing school! I am way too emotional these days. I'd freak out, cry all the time and wouldn't have anyone to have happy tea with. Not gonna do it. I have even considered being a superhero, but I don't have any super powers. So much for that.

So, now I am at teaching. I believe this is something I could do. I am still researching schools. I would probably go to UK-Lexington, if that is wherever Derek ends up. I'll try to do it at night and over the weekends at first. Then when Derek graduates and is working, I'll go full time and be a stenographer part time. This is all just speculation. Anything could happen between now and then. And I have no preconceived notions. I know it will probably be really hard. But what in life is easy? I am finally ready for my next life challenge.
I did try the teaching prerequisites for a good 3 semesters, long enough to know I wasn't interested in "going the distance" to become a teacher. Thank goodness for the Bebe. If I hadn't had her, I may be still wandering and I'm done with that for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment