Thursday, September 9, 2010

Happy New Year

I am not religious these days. That doesn't mean that I won't ever be, but for now I am an atheist. It just feels the most true to my beliefs. However, I married a Jew and our daughter will be Jewish. Now, if you want to get technical and biblical, the mother has to be Jewish for the child to really be Jewish. But we're not worried about that one.

So my sister in law and I went to Rosh Hoshana services last night. I haven't been to temple since before the petit bebe came into the world. It was nice, kind of cathartic. I love going to temple, but I'm not a Jew and I have always felt as thought I stick out. Mostly because I can't sing along with most of the Hebrew songs. A few I know by heart, but only because they are short...and similar. I really like the Rabbi and his talks. They are always pretty short, but very thoughtful. He also has a nice way of looking at things from different angles. His talk on this particular evening had to do with belief and how you are really not Jewish if you don't believe. It made me start to think about a few things relating to conversion and making sure that bebe doesn't have a half-assed religious experience. I don't know. We'll see, maybe a little farther down my religious journey I'll consider it more seriously. But not now.

No comments:

Post a Comment