Monday, August 2, 2010

Boxes, Bourbon and Butter in the Face

Today is the day that my Sister in Law arrives. We've worked hard rearrange the garage, clean out the guest room, stow away and throw away, etc. Friday when we got home for the day, there were 9 boxes waiting on us at the front door, blocking the entrance. The boxes were pretty funny and were labeled in a way that might predict my future. One box said this: Yak blanket, beads, etc. Another: Winter clothes. Another: Meditation room. This will be interesting.

My new household will look like this: 3 Adults, 1 Toddler, 3 Dogs. That's a lot of people/creatures to feed and care fore. Between the three of us all working together towards the common good, I think we'll be ok.

Last week and this past weekend was rough. Having spent a fun week in the sun, followed immediately by a week in an office (with little to no access to the sun), along with the stress of financial strain, has sent me into a whirlwind depression. I'm starting to do things like resent and be mean to my husband. He's been real patient with me, so that's good. I just feel like all I did this weekend was be irrational and then apologize. I apologized a lot. I also drank bourbon, but only a little in an overly sweet Mint Julep. I took a walk today at lunch over to my old office and visited with a few friends and just hanging out and laughing out loud has helped tremendously. So thanks.

I attempted to make a pie yesterday. It was a vanilla cream pie (see: vanilla pudding, cook and serve style) with a graham cracker crust. I had a graham cracker crust kit, so I just had to add sugar and butter. I decided to melt the butter in a measuring cup in the microwave. But when I opened the door and grabbed the handle, the butter exploded everywhere. I just kind of stood there waiting for the pain, but none came. I lucked out. But the real suck part was that I had to clean the butter off the kitchen floor. Not easy.

Things are getting better, even as I type this. Tomorrow, I'm keepin' it positive and Aunt Anne's Vanilla Custard Pie recipe.

Love,
Molly

No comments:

Post a Comment