Monday, May 17, 2010

Prep

This weekend we spent our spare time resting, playing and cleaning the house for company. I also got some art and photos on the walls so it looks like we live here instead of just temporary hat hanging. The living room feels so much warmer. Now I need to get some more pictures printed so I can finish a few walls up. Meh, another project.

Little Sister is flying up for the week this afternoon. We are sooooo excited. This week also marks her 23rd birthday. Everytime I think about her birthday, there's always a little guilt in there because I missed so many the last 12 years or so, since leaving for college. Also, I've been wanting to take her away to Vegas for the ultimate birthday weekend, but alas, life prevails and has prevented us thus far. We'll get there eventually...and we'll take plenty of incriminating pictures when we do.

I've planned most of the meals for the week including a few classic deserts that should please the palate. Tonight I'll work on one of her fav's, Jello cake. Its basically a vanilla cake mix, baked, then you take a fork and poke holes all over it and pour in still liquid jello. Then it sets in the fridge over night. The next day its ready for cool whip and sliced berries for the top. I'm using our favorite: white cake mix with strawberry jello and strawberries on top. Baby is going to flip over that one. She should love it. I've been making this cake for years and it is always a hit. I found the recipe in one of my mom's Country Livings when I was a kid. Later in the week we'll do a berry crisp with vanilla ice cream on top. Kill-er.

I've got most of the meals planned for the week: We're having soft-shell chicken tacos, beef & veggie kabobs on the grill, and birthday girl sushi (crab and crunchy shrimp rolls). I'll have to find a really fancy birthday hat tonight when I make a mad dash to Walmart for a few items (one being a curtain rod for the guest shower....because I'm a dumb-dumb).

On Friday night, I'll have to see if she's interested in escaping to go to the Drive-in or just going out for a night on the town with her big, nerdy sister.

Have a great week,
Molly

1 comment:

genderist said...

Ok, Jane, I seriously need the jello cake recipe. It sounds fantastic. Email it to me, s'il vous plait.

Post a Comment