Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Lessons and Nostalgia at the Drive-In

Last May my husband and I took our sweet 9 month old baby to the Sky View Drive-in, way out in the country in the neighboring country. We were under the illusion that we could drive out there around her bed time and that she'd just fall asleep uneventfully. When we pulled up to the ticket booth we quickly learned that they, unlike the rest of the world, hadn't adapted to debit card use. We then had to drive 5 minutes back down the road to a little gas station that had an ATM machine. Of course, when we got there, the attendant told us that it was out of order. My husband ended up having to purchase something so he could get some gas. Back down the road to the drive-in we went. When we arrived, back at the ticket booth, they asked us how many we had, told us the rules (no outside food, which we absolutely had) and which side we should go to for our selected movie (there were two screens. I was very worried I'd be distracted by the other movie...because I'm a nerd. I got over it). So we drove on the gravel path that trailed along side the rows of grassy field that made up the drive-in. Rows of grass, interspersed by gravel paths and the familiar poles, sticking out of the ground with a few actual speakers (that aren't really used because you listen on your radio). One screen backed up to the road and the other against some trees in the opposite direction; this was our screen. In the middle of this field was a cinderblock building that made up the concession stand and bathrooms. There were some odd looking attendants that directed folks were to park based on the size of the vehicle. We had the SUV so we ended up in the last row. Once we got parked we attempted to very sneakily eat our illegal outside food. My dish ended up really sucking.

So I attempted to get the baby to relax, in vein. She eventually passed out about 15 or so minutes before the movie started, just enough time for me to run to the restroom, grab something sweet from the concession stand and get back in time fore StarTrek to start. The only thing that had changed about this building over the last 25 years was probably the annual fresh layer of paint on the outside. I want to think it was peach or yellow in color. I walked around to the women's side and when I walked in I was immediately teleported back to 1985 (cue The Cars - You Might Think). The bathroom was clean, but completely old school. One wall had a row of bathroom stalls, on the opposite wall was a row of white sinks. Above the sinks was a long mirror that spanned the length of the wall. Between the sinks and mirror was a skinny formica counter. I think it was either gold or yellow with glitter mixed into the plastic coating. That kind of thing takes me back. I could see them; a line of teenage girls pressed up against the mirror, combing or teasing their hair and applying Wet'n'Wild super shiney, cherry flavored lipgloss and blue eye shadow, talking about how they were going to "do it." Plastic bangles, polka dots, saddle shoes, bangs, PJ Soles, Joey Ramone and Nightmare on Elmstreet. I was just a kid in the 80s, not a high schooler, but I wanted to be (and always felt) older and relished growing up in that time period. It was fun to go back for a few seconds. When I stepped back outside, I teleported back to 2009 and headed around the building to concessions. I paid $5 for a pounder of Reece's Pieces with no regrets.

Here are the lessons we learned about going to the drive-in:
1. Bring cash - Most Drive-ins are old school in the most literal/annoying sense.
2. Don't go too early - Yeah, you'll get a good spot, but you'll also be waiting until it gets dark enough for the movie to start. For an hour and a half, I kept thinking "any minute now, they'll start with some previews". Just look online if you need a good definition for "dusk" in your area.
3. Be wary of your neighbors - We ended up next to an extended cab truck with tinted windows. Lets just say they spent the beginning of the movie with the windows almost all the way up, a'rockin. Then they spent the rest of their time smoking, their second hand smoke billowing into our windows.
4. Bringing Baby - Take supplies (toys, diapers, food, milk). Just because its bedtime doesn't mean baby will go right to sleep.
5. Food - Totally sneak food and drinks in. Just because its old school...doesn't mean old school concession prices. This also makes for a bit of sport or a cheap thrill (or a nerdy thrill, but what'evs).


Burnin' down the house,
Molly

1 comment:

genderist said...

I remember when you did this!

Excellent stroll down memory lane.

Post a Comment