Monday, June 11, 2012

Little Old White Haired Ladies

Long weekend back in the holler in WV.  Got home Friday evening to find Mom across the yard at the grandparents' house.  My mom is a saint, just for the record.  She takes care of everyone.  Grandpa had low blood pressure, ended up in the hospital on Saturday morning.  He has pneumonia and no lungs to fight it with. I'm going to try to stay positive for mom and dad. Grandma has Alzheimer's and really counts on grandpa to be there as her cornerstone.  I think its how she makes connections. His loss will be tough on her.

All these old boys are passing on leaving a slew of little old white haired ladies.  For a while, they'll have to keep each other company.  That just seems to be how it goes.  And as they pass on or their personalities change, my memories of those times long ago are shifting into a big pile that I have a hard time sorting through. Of course I have to make room for new memories, for my kid.  I am making peace with that because all of what was is a big part of who I am now and what she will be.

I thought I'd be fine after a good night's sleep, but alas I'm more beat up from this weekend than I thought.  But I won't complain too much.  After a full two days of taking care of things with Grandpa, my mom had to go to her mom's house and give her a bath.  Saint.
 


1 comment:

The 4th Doctor said...

This is "how it goes." The older you get the more this happens. I'm in my 40s now and watching my family age and die one at a time. It's a weird feeling.

Post a Comment