Wednesday, November 2, 2011

And we're back!

Hello my friends,


Fall is here and its pretty damn cold here in the bluegrass.  Temps are in the 30s-40s at night and its gosh darn chilly during the day in our house.  Our downstairs heating unit doesn't work and needs to be replaced. Last weekend my dad brought down an insert for the fireplace that has a fan, as soon as we get the routine down, that should help with the heat issues.

My stress level with school has peaked and I'm starting to mentally check out.  Don't get me wrong, I'm still working my tail off, but I've started making plans for after the semester.  For instance, the world has already started with the Christmas stuff.  So, I'm making my lists of cookies to bake, think of genius Christmas gifts (you know, cheap ones!) and plan out when we are driving up to WV to visit.  I'm thinking we'll go for a short weekend right after the semester is over, then obviously the week of Christmas (probably more of a long weekend type thing).  It all makes me hopeful.    


No meat/dairy update: Its very expensive and time consuming to plan and eat non-dairy/non-meat meals, especially when the rest of the family isn't doing the same.  My aspirations of being insanely healthy and lithe will have to wait until I win the lottery and can pay someone to cook separate meals for me.  But the take away is that I don't mind drinking soy milk and not eating cheese or meat so I'll continue to do it as much as possible throughout the week.  But I gotta have meat and frozen yogurt on occasion. And eggs.  Cannot live with out eggs.  Seriously.  I looove eggs, from my head down to my legs. The incredible, edible egg.  Remember that commercial?

I saw something on TV last night that is sitting with me today.  There's a new show on HBO called Enlightened that I keep trying to catch, but end up watching the end of lately.  In essence, the last few lines narrated by the main character are that life is hard, but she accepts what she has.  And that ultimately, there is time, "so much time", to really live our lives and make the most of it.  I think that for the most part, its totally true.  My struggle is this: I've spent so much of my life, of my youth, wishing for the future and now being back in school, I'm doing the same...wishing for it to be over.  But when I'm with my kid...I just want time to stand still so I can enjoy it, to savor it.  I was cooking on the grill last night and we sat on the porch together, she on my lap wrapped up in my robe with me and we talked about the trees and the sky.  Those are the moments I yearn for...and I want them to last forever.

1 comment:

genderist said...

Me too. Let's put bricks on their heads so they won't grow.

Post a Comment