Wednesday, October 5, 2011

No meat, No dairy? Sounds a little extreme.

I watched a movie last week (in about 4 sittings, FML) called Forks Over Knives.  I'm not going to pretend to be an expert on the subject, but they show some pretty convincing evidence that indicates that we eat way too much protein (meat and dairy based) and that these two food groups are directly indicated in the country's most prominent heath issues, specifically Heart Disease.  I decided to give this lifestyle a try. I know it sounds extreme, but it really hasn't been that big of a deal. 

Ok, its day 4 of life w/out dairy and meat and I'm feeling pretty darn good. I'm not crashing during the day like I normally do.  Yeah, maybe I have a little extra gas now and then from my increased bean consumption, but everything else is pretty damn good.  I'm excited to think of where I'll be in a month...which reminds me that I need to weigh myself and take an unflattering picture in something tight.  The conclusion I've come to about why I was drawn to this diet and why I'm suddenly OK with giving up dairy and meat (like REALLY ok with it) is that there is actual peer-reviewed science behind the claims and not just that old "I can't bear to eat animals anymore" thing.  Because baby, I can eat animals no problem and plan on eating some of that delicious turkey at this Thanksgiving.  But on a daily basis, what do I care?  And I promise that I'm the last person to judge anyone for continuing to eat meat and dairy. 

I would like to take this opportunity to share some of this information with you.

First of all, go watch the movie Forks Over Knives.  Its not that long and incredibly informative.  It is on Netflix and is probably in those Redboxes.   Here's the actual Forks Over Knives movie site.  I downloaded the book for $7.17.  Lots of good stuff in there, including recipes.  This website also references lots of good recipe books. 
http://www.forksoverknives.com

Here is one of the major players in the movie, Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn's book, Heart Attack Proof.
http://heartattackproof.com/
  
Next, go check out the Engine 2 Diet, which was created by Rip Esselstyn, former fire fighter and the son of one of the MD researchers in Forks over Knives.  His is actually more of a diet "plan" that helps you transition into this kind of lifestyle, but his book includes recipes and all of the peer reviewed research and science behind "plant based whole foods" eating and living as well.  He has some good videos on you tube as well.  He's for sure a manly-man who loves his plants.
http://engine2diet.com/.  And yes, he's totally "ripped."


I'll be sure to keep you updated on how I progress and if I actually lose any weight.


Peace out,
Molly

1 comment:

genderist said...

Can't wait to hear thhe updates!

Post a Comment