Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Granola Muncher

I got a sweet note back from my mom saying thank you for the list and that I answered all of her questions. That's the best part about being anal retentive: we're never shy on painfully specific details. How the hell did I get like this???

My MIL (Mother in Law) gave me a recipe for some granola that she makes all the time. I've now made it about 3 times and have modified it for texture, flavor and calories. For example, I cut the oil content down to 1/4 cup and I don't include whole almond (because all that chewing wears me out, man). I'd like to share my version with you. Its great with some non-fat Greek yogurt and maybe some fresh, cut-up fruit. Bebe helped me make this last batch and it was really fun.

4-5 C Oats
1.5-2 C sliced almonds
1/2 C salted and roasted sunflower seeds (without shells, of course)
1-2 C Pecans, halved or whole
1/2 C flax Seed
1/2 C sesame seeds
3/4 cup Honey (wildflower honey has more flavor, have also used sorgum)
1/4 cup Vegetable or Coconut oil.
1 cup golden raisins (or whatever dry fruit you prefer)

Mix dry ingredients. Heat honey and oil over medium to low heat until combined. Mix well with dry ingredients. Place mixture on cookie sheets (with a lip) or you can use glass casserole dishes. It usually takes me about two total as you don't want the layer to be too thick. Bake in an oven preheated to 325, stirring every 10 minutes for a total of 30-40 minutes. Allow to cool and mix in the raisins. I store mine in an old oatmeal container.

Bam!
Molly

2 comments:

The 4th Doctor said...

Granola Muncher?? I've been called worse.

Molly said...

ha!

Post a Comment