Friday, January 14, 2011

Things Are Different Now

Today is Friday (I think...) and things are completely different now than they were Monday. I can feel it. It is so nice to just be in the office today and not have to worry about what class I need to be at and its somewhat unfamiliar location.

I feel like my adrenaline has been working overtime for the past 3 days and let me tell you why.
1. My registration window didn't open until 1:00PM on the day of orientation. Everyone else, it seemed was already registered and could access their course information, syllabus, schedules, course documents online already. I felt completely unprepared and out of the loop and consequently, nervous.
2. I also did not have my books yet as I was hoping to purchase them once my financial aid processed, that hasn't happened and won't happen until next Wednesday. Needless to say, I was freaking out because:
  • Classes started the next day
  • By the time I got out of orientation, it was 4:19 and I still had to get the car, find a parking space at the bookstore (the only one that had the course packets), find everything I needed amidst others wandering aimlessly, get everything paid for and out of there before 6 so I didn't get charged extra monies when picking up Bebe. Nervous wreck, but I made it.
  • When I got home I fell apart and told my husband I had to go and quickly register for my classes. Then, of course, the registration system rejected me for both classes. Totally melt down at this point. I already felt 2 days behind, spent evening trying to get as organized as I could and relax a bit. Not enough sleep that night.
  • Class (skills lab) started on Wednesday and wasn't as bad as I had imagined, but lasted from 8AM to 1PM. Still had no online access to my courses at this point. Spent afternoon on phone ("at work") with the IT guys, who basically told me the feed hadn't loaded yet and may not for another few days. Ok, one more day behind. Stayed up late reading material to prep for the next day. Not enough sleep and really feeling it.
  • Thursday: lectures for Nursing Fundamentals and Pathopharmacology. Didn't read the right book for Fundamentals and so didn't have my assignment finished (but it wasn't turned in, so that's a relief, but I was still embarrassed). Officially registered for the classes and as of that morning, still had no access to online content. By the time I got back to work after the fundamentals class, I was online. Whew! I was able to print needed materials for PathoPharm before class. PathoPharm moves fast, baby, but I think it will be interesting material. It all is, finally. Still painfully sleep depraved and starting to feel weird. Up until 11:30 studying and reading.
  • Friday's I have off. I am trying to figure out what normal feels like but may need another week to get that figured out. I have all my homework for next week in my little planner and I have a long weekend (of nights and early mornings) to work on it. I won't get it all done, but I'll get the immediate things done. I got some sleep last night and am mentally gearing up for the weekend.
I'm determined to do school right and to do it well. I want to seen as a leader and as someone who works hard. Everyone is really smart, motivated and with good dispositions. I'm excited to get to know everyone once the dust settles. Its not going to be like ever before. This time: I think I can, I know I can, and won't allow previous experiences to disarm me.

I need to get some work done. Have a great weekend, y'all!

Molly

No comments:

Post a Comment