Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Why you gotta make me hate Canada?*

I'm so annoyed that I'm not even embarrassed to write this out. I am who I am and this is what it is.

So I work in an administrative office in a hospital...at a large university. My boss is a doctor and is the director of this part of the hospital. He also leads a rather large group of academic researchers including some students. Over the last 4 months or so I've participated in a friendly bout of emails with one of these student researchers. He's young, about 5 years my junior, very cute and funny and Canadian. We've exchanged emails to pass the time and stave off boredom and have some sort of social interaction outside of our every day blah. I've gone back and forth in my head about this kid. Although we've talked quite a bit, I still know little to nothing about who he really is and that really bothered me. We've also not spent much time together in person, which in retrospect was a godsend because it was almost always awkward.

So this morning, I've learned here in my office by some folks that I work with (via blatant eves-dropping) that he's a bit of a manipulator, even with my boss (the nice, big time director). He's this young kid that plays all sides and it has helped me come to the conclusion that our friendship has probably been based upon what (work-related) favors I end up doing for him. Well, there's officially no longer any question of that. I'm not even mad at him, I'm just relieved for myself. For my soul. My inner little girl needs a break from all the internalizing. Besides, I'm way too cool for any of that noise.

However, she's totally ready for some roller derby. Speaking of, I now have a set of killer (Triple8) pads. SIL and I are going to the rink tonight to practice and try on some skates in the skate shop. I'm going to attempt to skate backwards (something I've always failed miserably at). I can do it!

Have an awesome day!


*This post was previously titled "Why you gotta make me hate Canada, f#cker?"

1 comment:

genderist said...

Awesome. That's a great story... it'd be great to be a fly on the wall the next time you have to tell the sucker "no"!!

Post a Comment