Thursday, January 14, 2010

My Uniform

My daily uniform has changed a bit over the years. I'm going to start with middle school and work my way to the present. I sure wish I had pictures to go along with this.

Middle School - This was the era of fitted guess jeans (in all colors), turtle neck sweaters, unflattering striped, long sleeved, polo shirts, oh, and pleated dockers. I usually dressed up during these 2 years. I would wear a cute skirt or elephant pants and a blouse or cute top. Hose. Dressy shoes or cute boots. I have to say, I was pretty cute in Middle School. I was on the basketball team, so it was expected on game days. Oh, and I had to be cute for dances. Oh, the dances with middle schoolers and the bumping and grinding. And doing the butt.

High School - Ah, the days of grunge, and ska, etc, etc. I remember it all so clearly, my first day of high school. Still riding the bus. I wore this knee length dark red skirt and blue jean button up shirt with pretty trim that matched the skirt and my dark red, suede mary janes. I still miss those shoes. After my first day, my uniform abruptly changed to blue jeans, "cool" t-shirts with my fav bands advertised or the annual marching band t-shirt, chuck taylors (eventually) and some sort of button up sweater. I had this one sweater that I found in my grandmas attic that I wore for a good three years. It was really scratchy and fuzzy, but was so comfortable. I can't explain it. It was real fitted and I dressed it up with the appropriate tiny buttons with profound words and images like peace signs and Ghandi quotes. Shoes: Chucks, sandals and this pair of Rocky boots.

College - This uniform was pretty much the same through out college. With a hint more of "I don't give a shit" and the occasional cute polyester, goodwill-find. I had my moments, but I went with comfort over all fashion in college. With the exception of my black leather jacket. I still have this jacket. I got it really cheap back home at Gabriel's and its about 4 sizes too big. I used to/still wear it with a hoodie underneath. Shoes: exclusively chucks, cute boots and sandals. TN is one muggy bitch in the summer.

First Job: My first job (and every job since) has been an office, secretarial job. I really didn't know what to do at first, so I did my best with Khaki pants and cotton tops, sweaters and mary janes. Everything fitted awkwardly and I just looked like I didn't have a clue. I really didn't. Around the time that I got married (and dropped a good 40lbs), the office all chipped in (about $400) and sent me off with one of the ladies I worked with for a day of shopping for some more professional clothes. Its one of the greatest gifts anyone has given me: license to start over and spend a little money on myself. We bought 2 suits, 2 pairs of shoes and a dress I have never, ever worn, but still to this day have hanging in my closet. I can't seem to let it go. Those people were so good to me, I miss them dearly.

Second Job: This job required me to wear professional clothes all the time. No khakis but on Fridays during the summer months, closed toed shoes, etc, etc. So my suits really came in handy and I had to extend my wardrobe with even more dressy items. I actually learned to like dressing up at this job.

Third Job: More of a casual environment at this job, but I definitely tried to look nice every day. But I did have my off days and almost always wore jeans on Friday.

Now: I can't really wear jeans here, but I can wear khakis whenever I want. I usually dress fairly business casual.

Next job: Hopefully the next job will consist of me wearing scrubs. But no matter what, thanks to some lovely people, I'll be ready.

Thinking through all of this makes me think of the period of time, the people, the places, the circumstances. It was all good times. Its a good life.

1 comment:

The 4th Doctor said...

I wish we could wear mumus to work. We could eat all day and no one could tell. I practically do eat all day now....

Post a Comment