Friday, December 18, 2009

Happy Holidays

The things you see in any workplace the week before Christmas are usually pretty sweet and fun. Today, I handed out cookies to my newish co-workers and it was fun to see the surprise on their faces. Around mid morning, I saw the people who handle finances here (I call them the Money People) do a little gift exchange and it was sweet to see their faces as they traded boxes wrapped in Christmas-y paper. All sweet, humble and full of joy. On my lunch hour I walked down the street to my old office to hand out cookies and got one of those hugs that squeeze all the air out of your lungs and a few tears from your eyes. I miss my old co-workers dearly and it’s always good to see their faces. On my way back I walked over to our little grill to grab a sandwich. The side of the building has a lot of glass. As I walked along it I could see a patient receiving treatment, next window down a group of co-workers happily having pizza and a gift exchange, and then the lobby where patients and their loved ones were waiting and/or eating a quick lunch. Everyone in the grill had on Santa hats.

As I walked back to my building I saw a delivery van. The Santa-hat-wearing driver was delivering a tray of sweet goodies to someone in my building. He opened the door for me. Everyone is friendly and a little lighter. The hard part is over. Now we kick around until the holidays start. When the holiday is over, we’ll gear up and start it all up again…bigger and better, as they say. This year was tough and exciting. I know it’ll just get better and better.
This year I’m thankful for my new job, for my beautiful family and for good friends. And for miracles. Because they do happen.

Happy Holidays

2 comments:

genderist said...

You too, Jane!

Cerulean Bill said...

I'm in awe of your experience. Don't see that very much.

Post a Comment