Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Equestrian Madness

So I live in Lexington, Kentucky, home of the upcomming 2010 World Equestrian Games.  Its a big deal.  The local Kentucky Horse Park has revamped, refurbished and rebuilt about everything there.  Lexington has major construction happening to increase housing, hotels, amenities, etc.  Landmarks are being torn down on a promise and a handshake and then nothing is being built in its place.  Its a big mad mess...imagine Bejing preparing for the Olympics but on a smaller scale and with less human rights violations....for the most part.  

I really don't want to be here next year when this thing happens.  This could be a permanent move (because I'm always looking for another reason to move...wink!) or a long vacation, either way I want no part of it.  This is a medium sized town with a small (two lanes in each direction, nothing to brag about) beltway that goes in a circle around it so I imagine traffic will be a nightmare.  Traffic is a nightmare without extra people.  Also dining out will be a nightmare, shopping will be a nightmare, everything will be a nightmare.  I realize that in the grand scheme, the games are a great thing for this town.  It will bring jobs, world exposure, growth, and the money-money-money that it needs.  But it reminds me that I'd rather be living in a town that doesn't have that much need, that has its traffic under control via brand new 6-8 lane interstates, and that doesn't have some sort of major event planed anytime in the next 5-10 years.  I don't hate on Lexington, but I don't love it either. 

Cheers to you on a Friday,
Molly


1 comment:

Cerulean Bill said...

I suspect that the only people who have those marvelous interchanges are the ones that desperately need one, and right the heck now, too. No one builds them just because it'd be a nice idea someday. Pity.

Post a Comment