Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Food Post: Beans, Beans the Musical Fruit!

So, recently I came up with a recipe for a nice white bean and greens kind of soup.  Its great; hearty, warming, nutritious to the max.  However, it gives me gas, the likes of which I've never seen (see: heard, smelt, felt, tortured my husband with).  I'm going to eat it again.  Beeno will be involved, but its going to happen.  Here's the recipe.

3-4 slices panchetta
1 onion, chopped
2-3 carrots, chopped
1 bunch collard greens
4-6 cups chicken or veggie broth
1 bag (or 2 cans) great northern beans (prepared)
1-2 cloves chopped or pressed garlic (optional)
Salt and Pepper

Cut panchetta into small, 1/4" peices.  Put panchetta and chopped onion and carrots in a large pot at medium heat.  Cook until onions are tender and then add the stock.  When stock comes to a simmer, add the collard greens and (prepared or canned) beans.   Simmer at medium low heat for 30-45 minutes, seasoning to taste.  If I had the time, I'd have made some corn biscuits to dunk or break apart in this yummy soup.  This is a fantastic meal to cook and freeze.  And torture your significant other with. A Dutch oven is coming to mind, but I digress. 


No comments:

Post a Comment