Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Appalachian T-Bone!

Its almost time to hit the Holiday Road, yet again!  If you've been reading this blog for any period of time, you can glean that I love vacation and road trips (and writing monotonously about it).  If you've been around since this time last year, you also know that last year's vacation wasn't so great.  My husband and I were so very depressed.  He was out of work, we were poor (we still are, but much less) and he and I weren't relating all that well.  My mom and dad gifted us some money and we were able to go, barely.    Little did I know at the time, my dad was going through a major depression and lack of employment as well, and my poor mama was trying to lift up everyone on her own.

Does that suck?  It sucks hard core.

Things have been looking up with a few exceptions.  First of all, I have the most amazing 3 year old a girl could ask for.  My husband, with some great persistence, got a full time job.  It pays decent and has benefits, amen.  He also started a band that is gaining popularity in the indie music scene.  My father, a contractor, got a good gig installing Pella Windows.  He doesn't even have to find the jobs, they find Pella, Pella calls dad.  He was also able to pay off a big tax bill that he's been diligently and painfully paying off for a few years.  Its a major relief for him and will allow him to have some spending cash for the first time in a very long while. The exceptions to all of this are as follows (I'll keep it short): The two hardest semesters of school I've ever experienced, the declining health of my grandparents and the stress my parents have taken on in caring for all of them, depleting any time they may have had for their own personal interests.  Caring for the old people is part of life and I know my sister and I will get our turn.  Its just tough seeing my middle aged parents under so much stress at a time in their lives when they should be playing. 

So, we're now gearing up for vacation and all we can do is hope and pray everyone keeps it together enough for us to get through the week with no disappointing events back at home.  If for any other reason, my parents really fucking need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment