Friday, January 28, 2011

Things to Celebrate Post-Christmas or Curing the Winter Blues

Over the years, I have found it soothing to "celebrate" holidays as much as possible in winter, post Christmas, as this time of year can be a major drag. I absolutely love to find things to make in the winter to take the focus off the miserable cold weather. Ever since I graduated from college (way back in winter of 2002) and moved into an apartment with my man, I have been trying to figure out this whole cooking, baking and "homemaker" thing. I've learned a great deal over the years from simply going to the library and sitting down with a good cookbook or scouring recipe blogs/sites for things that seem tasty and doable. So, in that vein and in lieu of upcoming holidays, I'll try to hunt down recipes in the coming weeks to help us to warm our tushes and "celebrate".
Let me know if I missed any good ones!

February:
2/3 - Chinese New Year: Short ribs and string beans?
2/5 - My hubby's birthday (32): He has specifically requested New Orleans' BBQ shrimp (its not what you'd imagine) and his favorite yellow or chocolate cake with chocolate ganache frosting.
2/6 - Superbowl Sunday: White meat "wings" and jalapeno bacon babies? Just an idea.
2/14 - Valentines Day: I'm thinking spaghetti with homemade meatballs and red sauce.

March (lots of alcohol this month....):
3/8 - Fat Tuesday/Mardi Gras: G-U-M-B-O or Jambalaya and Abita. Baby.
3/17 - St. Patrick's Day: Split pea soup or boiled cabbage with ham with not-green beer. (My home will be a flatulant paradise).
3/20 - Purim: I think the only requirement here is alcohol.
3/24 - My favorite Uglyhoma munchkin turns 2!

Happy Winter Weekending to all!
Molly

1 comment:

genderist said...

You can always plan to have something sweet in Baby's honor on or about 3/24. I'm thinking about making fancy cupcakes, but I need to make a test batch sometime in Feb first I think.

Post a Comment