Thursday, October 7, 2010

Money Sucks or Its Molly's Friday

Yesterday I had a bit of a panic attack about the prospect of going back to school full time, quitting my job and taking on about 70K in debt in two short years, followed by my husband going back to law school and taking on another 30K, at least. Lets punch the numbers:

1. 70,000 (Me) + 30,000 (Hubby) = $100,000 in student loan debt when we currently only have about $5K.
2. Lets pretend that in 5 years my husband and I have both finished school and have successfully obtained jobs in our chosen fields. Not only do we still have a mortgage and car payment (let alone every day living expenses) we have $100,000 in combined student loans to pay down. So have we really improved our living situation? I don't know.
3. I'm scared to take this on at this point in my life. Many of my friends say, "Just do it, its what you want. You'll regret it." That's a real easy thing to say when you don't have a kid to think about. And baby, we do.

In closing: If we both go back to school, we'll both potentially have that career satisfaction thing going for us. I just wish there was a way to do it that wouldn't force us into $100K debt. Which brings us to our next point: There is a school about 20 minutes from my house that has a nights/weekends track nursing program. I'm not real clear on all of the details, but hope to speak to someone today or tomorrow. It might be the solution I'm yearning for. Its a possibility.

Meanwhile, back on the farm: Today is my Friday! Woot! Tomorrow just cleaning and baking and enjoying not being here.

Have a great weekend, nerds!
Molly

2 comments:

genderist said...

Enjoy your long weekend!

Mady Mack said...

1. See you soon!!!.. Let's skype tomorrow so Lilly remembers me!

2. The name of school at the top of your degree makes a difference, because then you can work ANYWHERE. Two years will fly, life gets easier, Bebe is so fortunate, etc. Don't hold yourself back from excellence. It always gets easier when you do what's best for you.

Post a Comment