Friday, February 26, 2010

Donut Days

Today is donut day. I've been craving some really good donuts for a while now and I finally was able to get my fix at a local joint. Dunkin Donuts sucks, so I like to stick with locally owned bakeries. Daddy, Bebe and I left a few minutes early so I could run in and grab a dozen or so to take into the office (and eat myself). And although I totally love the donuts at this joint, I also really love the scene.

When you walk in, the first thing that hits you is that unmistakable bakery smell. Its warm and inviting and tells you exactly where you are. This smell also makes me immediately think of Bonnie Bell bakery back home and how much I miss my mama. Then your eyes hit the beautiful, back-lit glass case that runs all the way from the left end of the bakery and about 3/4 of the way to the right. The rest of that space on the right is occupied by a diner counter. There are also some booths that sit against the windows that face the street in the front of the restaurant which are always mostly full when I go in. So the diner counter is always full of "the regulars" which consist of retired gentleman in suspenders drinking coffee and having a donut and what I imagine to be some great conversation. There are also the nice folks behind the counter (its a family operation) who will let you know they'll be with you as soon as they can, but are obviously not in any hurry. Its always women and although they have their hair and make up done, they have that tired and hard look to them. Its a look that makes me feel at home.

I'd love to go in there one day with the Daddy and Bebe, give her her first donut hole and just take it all in.

Life is good,
Molly

1 comment:

genderist said...

Did you ever go with me to that mom and pop donut joint in Mboro that had the most excellent bear claws? Mmm... like a honey bun on crack.

Post a Comment