Monday, November 30, 2009

Thanksgiving in the "Great American Southwest", Part Four/Conclusion

Saturday at 9AM was the scheduled departure time at the Resort. Now, I don’t want to be ugly here but let me talk to you about what happened Saturday morning. First of all, Friday night was the first night all week (I believe) that the baby slept through the night. Of course, I was the lucky one to get up with her when she was up and at it at 6AM. Mom and Dad got up around 7 and let me take over. Derek insisted on sleeping “20 more minutes”. Sadly, I let him. Meanwhile packing his stuff, my stuff and baby’s stuff. Sounds pretty sucky, right? Then when I got him up he proceeded to take his time in the shower. I never got to take a shower that morning.

After much ado, we left for Vegas in Mom’s Prius at 8:55. That’s right folks, a compact car with 4 adults and a car seat for two hours makes for a sore ass.

So we get to the airport and find the short term parking after an intense lap and a half. I fucking hate Vegas taxi drivers. Yeah, they see you and they don’t give a shit. So we go inside to check in. We have to check in at the airport because we have to get an infant boarding pass to get through security. For whatever reason, priceline failed to convey our specific order to the two airlines we used (United and Delta, by the way). So we check in at the kiosk and then go to the counter to see about open seats for the baby seat and request the extra boarding pass. The first lady passes us off because we aren’t one the specific branches of Comair that she can service. So we end up down to the next person. I specifically told her that first we needed an infant boarding pass. Then I asked her if there were any open seats on the flight. Honestly, it didn’t seem like she even looked, but she said it was a booked flight. Ok, so now we need to check the carseat. So we tighten all the buckles and loose ends, etc and pass it off. When she handed us our receipts for the luggage, I didn’t see the infant pass. So I asked her again. Now she says it should have printed out with our passes at the kiosk. She didn’t really seem to know what to do so she wrote on the passes. Truth be told she was a real bitch. The end.

And now I’d like to give a California howdy to United/TWA/Comair and United Airlines. Thanks folks!

Mom and Dad walked us to the family line at the security checkpoint. I was sad to leave them behind, but we were ready to be back in the land of grass, trees and brown dirt. Lilly was a real trooper through the whole trip. She took a nice long nap on the long flight to Memphis but things got a little weird on the puddle jumper to Louisville. I dn’t know if I was showing her too much out the window, but she was a little freaked out. She could have just been tired, who knows, but she was super clingy with her daddy. We landed, got our luggage no problem. Derek and I were a little agitated with one another. Just ready to be done. I insisted on driving home. I needed the alone time. Daddy and Baby snoozed on the back seat all the way to Lexington.

When we got home I just got Baby out of the car seat, took her upstairs, changed the diaper, put on pajamas and had Daddy fix her some milk. She sucked down the milk in minutes flat. I gave her a few minutes to relax and then tried to lay her down. On a normal night before our journey, she would lay right down and fall asleep. No crying, just suck the thumb and out she’d go. But now, as I tried t put her down, she wouldn’t let go of my neck and proceeded to scream bloody murder. Daddy and I tried and tried and tried to no avail. I decided to just let her sleep on my belly on the couch, just for that night. The next night was rough too, but we decided that it would just take her a little while to readjust. So we are doing what we had to do months back and let her cry it out. She cried a little less tonight. It’ll just get better, I presume.

Yesterday, Baby and I went for groceries and spent the evening decorating the tree. I’m almost done with the mantle. I’m ready for the holidays, people! Later this week I’ll be trying my hand at a few new cookie recipes. Its on, Santa, its on!

I hope everyone had a nice holiday. Thanks for reading.

Happy Holidays,
Molly

1 comment:

Post a Comment